Location: DM Centre for Brain Health
Job Category: M&P
Classification Title: Information Systems & Technology, Level A, Salary Grade 4
Business Title: Web/Database Developer
VP/Faculty: Faculty of Medicine
Department: Medical Genetics
Salary: $46,242 – $55,513 per annum
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Desired Start Date: July 4, 2016
Job End Date: July 3, 2017
Funding Type: Grant Funded
Possibility of extension: Yes
Available Openings: 1
The Centre for Applied Neurogenetics (CAN) at the Centre for Brain Health (CBH) within the department of Medical Genetics and the Faculty of Medicine, is a collaborative, interdisciplinary, clinical and basic research network that contributes to new knowledge in the maintenance of brain health, the diagnosis and treatment of central nervous system disorders, and enhancements to the quality life at all ages.
The position will be responsible for the development and efficient operation of database-driven web applications for the tracking, storing, and reporting of human exome-wide genetic variations linked to clinical phenotypes.
The Developer will report to the Director, Dr. Matthew Farrer and will work closely with the Web/Database Specialist.
• Creates user information solutions by designing, implementing, testing, and maintaining database driven web applications based on project requirements and specifications jointly developed within the enterprise biotechnology management team.
o Works with management, users, and information technologists to determine system features and functionality.
o Designs and develops user interfaces to web applications by setting expectations and feature priorities throughout development life cycle; completes programming based on the standard LAMP architecture and software environment; designs and conducts performance and accuracy tests.
o Recommends system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development vs. purchased alternatives.
o Integrates applications by designing database architecture, server scripting, and inter-server communications.
o Completes applications development by coordinating requirements, schedules, and activities; contributes to team meetings; troubleshoots development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
o Develops technical documentation of system architecture and operational requirements.
o Monitors running application systems to determine satisfactory performance.
o Updates job knowledge by researching new internet/intranet technologies and software products; participates in educational opportunities; maintains personal networking with other organizational IT groups.
o Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests, and exploring opportunities to add value to existing accomplishments.
o Supports project associates by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
o Consults with users to determine business needs.
• Taking responsibility for ensuring that the security and confidentiality of all data is maintained.
• Other duties and projects as required
Works under the general direction of the Director and works closely with the Web/Database Specialist. Makes decisions and conducts analysis within industry-standard best-practices guidelines.
Works cooperatively with other staff members.
Consequence of Error
Inefficient operations and/or unreliable data, leading to absent or faulty research results, could result in erroneous findings and faulty publications which would have serious implications for current and future funding.
• A Minimum of two years’ experience exercising those responsibilities outlined above.
• Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or Biology. Master’s degree is preferred.
• Experience programming in Python is required.
• Good knowledge of Linux bash scripting and command-line utilities required.
• Experience with centralized client-server relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle) is required.
• Experience using Flask web framework is an asset.
• Experience with LARGE such databases is an asset.
• Experience supporting activities in academic medicine or the biological sciences is an asset.
• Familiarity with population genetics and analysis of familial inheritance patterns of disease are strong assets.
• High degree of accuracy, tenacity, and attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
• Self-motivation and ability to work well with minimal supervision.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to present detailed information to non-technical audiences is also an asset.